Havoc at hospitals and clinics over out-of-town security

Some unhappy members of the West Rand Security Forum (WRSF) in front of Carletonville Hospital last Thursday. At times, members from neighbouring towns also assisted with the protest action in Merafong.
Some unhappy members of the West Rand Security Forum (WRSF) in front of Carletonville Hospital last Thursday. At times, members from neighbouring towns also assisted with the protest action in Merafong.

Problems erupted at government health facilities in the area during the week as upset residents of Merafong pushed security guards from out-of town companies out.
From 1 August, there has been a conflict between members of the West Rand Security Forum (WRSF) and security personnel deployed at Carletonville Hospital and other hospitals in the West Rand, including the Leratong, Yusuf Dadoo and Sterkfontein
hospitals.
The problems spread to clinics run by the Department of Health during the course of the week.
One of the WRSF members leading the protest action in Merafong, Mr Steve Marumule, told the Herald that they were tackling the issue now because the contracts with the security companies at the hospital had expired at the end of last month.
‘Despite pleas to employ local people at our hospitals and clinics, the Department
of Health’s regional office continues to hire people from far away,’ said another member of the group, Mr Chucku Kerileng.
‘We want the procurement of security services to be decentralised so that local communities can benefit.
Security guards from within the communities they serve will do a better job because they will be guarding the facilities that provide services to their own people,’ says another member of the group, Mr Terence Skhenjana.
‘We will not stop until our local people are employed at these facilities,’ Kerileng told the Herald.
According to Marumule, WRSF members had planned a sit-in at the offices of the Gauteng MEC for Health, Dr Gwen Ramokgopa, this week if the issues were not sorted out.
The DA’s shadow minister for health, Mr Jack Bloom, said the security contracts for Gauteng hospitals cost more than R500 million a year and have been extended ‘until further notice’ despite a forensic audit finding that they had been irregularly awarded.
‘According to the MEC’s written reply to my questions in the Gauteng Legislature, the contracts were awarded on 1 October 2014 and were supposed to have ended on 31 September 2016,’ he said.
The Herald contacted a spokesperson for the Department of Health in the West Rand, Ms Puseletso Mabidikane, for a comment on the issues.
Unfortunately, there had still been no response at the time of the newspaper going to print.

Latest News

COMMENTS

Parys GazettePotchefstroom HeraldSedibeng SterVaal Weekblad
Top