Mystery surrounds death at Carletonville Hospital

An emotional Ms Gloria Moeketsane and her aunt, Elizabeth, with a photo of Tiisetso, who died under mysterious circumstances in Carletonville Hospital last weekend.

According to Ms Gloria Moeketsane, the family noticed that something was wrong with her brother, 19-year-old Tiisetso, last Friday. At around 15:30, he suddenly became paranoid and distressed.
‘He kept saying he wanted to see the colour purple and not blue,’ says Gloria.
Tiisetso, known to his friends as ‘Fifi’, had no known history of such problems so his family decided to take him to Carletonville Hospital.
When he was admitted, his family had no idea that their best intentions would have tragic consequences.
The last time his family saw Tiisetso alive was when his aunt, Mrs Elizabeth Moeketsane, visited him in Ward 6 at around 15:00 on Saturday.
‘He said he was not sick and wanted to go home,’ she says.
Moeketsane left with the assurance that her nephew was in good hands until the doctors could find out what was wrong with him.
At around 03:00 on Sunday morning, however, police officers woke them up to tell them Tiisetso had jumped out of a window and had died.
Since then, the family has been looking for answers. ‘It does not make sense that my brother wanted to kill himself only hours after he told my auntie he was fine. Even if he did, where was the sister on duty at the time? How is it that no one was around to see what happened?’ his sister asked with tears welling in her eyes.
According to the family, the hospital personnel could not help them but referred them to the police, who have now opened an inquest docket.
‘The only thing they could tell us was that the security cameras had shown him falling to the ground.’ The family cannot help wondering if someone had pushed him.
‘I will not rest until he gets justice. He was my little brother – he was always smiling,’ Ms Moeketsane said.
According to the family, Tiisetso was not a drug user.
In its search for answers, the Herald contacted the communications officer of Carletonville Hospital and a communications officer of the department of health in the West Rand.
‘The hospital and the SAPS are still investigating the circumstances surrounding the incident. Upon the completion of the internal hospital investigation, we will forward the information to the Gauteng Department of Health’s quality assurance unit. You can contact them for further information,’ said Mr Mathabo Letsoalo on behalf of the hospital. Mr Thuso Montwedi from the health department referred the questions right back to the hospital, however.
The hospital failed to respond to questions like how many other people had died in the hospital under similar circumstances during the past five years. According to the Moeketsane family, they know of two other people from Kokosi alone who have suffered a similar fate.

Latest News


Parys GazettePotchefstroom HeraldSedibeng SterVaal Weekblad