Lightning strikes tragedy into family

SHARPEVILLE. – A Thuto-Lore Comprehensive School Grade 10 Learner died after he was struck by lightning last Thursday. Thato Mthembu (21) who lived in Vuka with his grandmother, was walking to his father’s house in the late afternoon when it started raining.

A community member said he had been standing at a nearby salon when it started to rain and Thato had attempted to run so he could get away from the rain, which started pouring heavily. Suddenly he was struck by lightning. He added that he saw Thato fall when the lightning bolt struck. When he ran over to help, he found that Thato was non-responsive.
Bereaved father Oupa Motloung says, “I was shocked when I was called to come and see what had happened to my son. He had burns on his head, chest and feet.”
Motloung adds that it is very strange that something like this happened to his son. “Thato was only one street away from home, I really do not believe what happened. He was such a good boy and had a good relationship with everyone.”
Police officials and emergency personnel who declared Mthembu dead were called to the scene. “I have not been able to sleep. The entire family is devestated about what happened to our son.”
lebo.chaha@media24.com

Latest News

COMMENTS

Parys GazettePotchefstroom HeraldSedibeng SterVaal Weekblad
Top